Monday, September 17, 2012
What if we were all the same race?
Lara had commented, "All of these instances of present-day racism make me wonder if there is a
way to for this to stop. How can our society enforce equal treatment of
black and white people? As you said, we have come a long way in terms
of racial equality, but there is still lots of room for progress." on one of my previous blog posts, and it really got me thinking for a while. I replied to her comment, but realized I still had loads more to say, and so here I am blogging about it. Personally I think it's an inherent human characteristic to judge others based on outward traits and physical attributes beyond one's control. Our society, and all the societies that preceded ours, place such a huge emphasis on appearance that its hard for us to not give it any importance. But who defines beauty? Scientists say that symmetric, even features make people beautiful. But then why do cultural perceptions of beauty differ? Why can't we all see past beauty and judge people based on merit and morality? Why do first impressions, mostly visual, make such an impact about what we think of a person? Would it be any different if we were all the same race? There is tons of speculation about how, after years and years of interracial mixing, a new dominant human race will take over, and that eventually all people would look the same, we'd all be beige. But even if we were all the same race, I think its just biologically built into our nature to find ways to group others. None of us want to be grouped or typed, but we have no problem doing it to others. Most of the time we don't realize we're doing it, or that by doing it, we don't realize that we're doing anything 'wrong'. I don't think, as an entire species, we'll ever come to a point of absolute equality. Just like in ways how women and men are essentially equal nowadays, there are still differences that set us apart. I mean, women still like chivalry, but doesn't that go against the whole 'we want to be completely equal' idea? Either way you look at it there isn't really a fix all kind of solution. Maybe it's race and religion today, but it can easily be shoe size and hair color in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think this is a really interesting idea. I have thought about it alot. The problem is, as you alluded to, people will always be different. Whether its clothes, athletic ability, musical tastes, professions/socio-economic status, there will always be something that divides us and causes conflict. It's unfortunate, but history says it's the truth. Humans are affraid of differences.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Tanisha for bringing this up. I had the same thought in Ms. Morford's class, though I don't remember what it was in response to. I have always been of the opinion that differences don't seem to make as big an impact as percieved differences. Are black people any different thatn white? No, today we would call anyone who asks that racist and we'd mean in negatively. However, at the time that these books were written, people had very different perceptions. I also would agree that people like to group others together. Humans have the natural tendancy to actively search for patterns. Many times we see patterns where there are none.
ReplyDeleteHey guys! Thanks for the comments, glad to see people agree! I don't know, it just has always annoyed me how people just write off others as racist and assume the worst about them. Calling someone racist is like grouping them too, and the worst is that we all group others in ways that we don't even think of. Racism is obviously very negative, and I would know being a racial minority and also coming from a Muslim background, but it's just so much more complex than people realize. There's never going to be a way to completely understand each individual person you'll ever meet, so stereotypes and generalizing will always exist. The only thing we can do is lessen the severity, which we've already done loads of. Humanity isn't hopeless, it's just complicated.
ReplyDeleteI agree, people will ALWAYS judge. Whether its who has the better clothes, or who has the best hair. It is almost second nature for humans to judge, and compare people physically. As much as society says that we are equal and how much we want to be equal, we never will be equal. A majority of people seem to look at interracial girls or boys as the most attractive people, but why? I have to admit that I have thought before that mixed people, or people with a caramel like skin color, are just better looking than any other skin color. Thank God, I have moved past my judgmental ways, but many people haven't. Many humans have a specific preference in what they like. Whether it be a dark skinned person, or a light skinned person. Why we do this, I don't know. Is it because of science or is it because of our environment?
ReplyDeleteits interesting you brought up the idea that calling someone a racist is grouping them as well. I have to agree with that statement. We seem to use that term just to dismiss the comments made. I have to disagree with Lea however. Are black people any different than white? Yes we are. At least, thats what I think. Yes, we are all humans, but I honestly think that there is something different. What that difference is, is unclear to me but I know its there. Maybe it is just the environment the person of either race is raised in.
Hey Surya! Ok I think ALL people have preferences, and its not something to be ashamed of. Its only 'racist' or negative if it hinders you in seeing a person for what they really are, or if it keeps you from actually getting to know people just because they lack a certain trait. And I agree, there's not a clear cut answer as to why people do this. I think its a mix of science and culture, but I don't really know. I also sort of disagree with Lea (I agree with her for the most part though!) about the point in differences. At the end of the day there will always be differences. There are man made differences that we can try to make go away, and there are actual physical differences that are just there. Differences don't make people superior or inferior. Differences just make us different, and I think the whole thing with racism is that people can't understand that differences can exist without connotations.
ReplyDelete