Sunday, January 19, 2014
Who was Evelyn Nesbit anyways?
With all its scrambled plots and characters, its easy to get lost in the sea of stories in Ragtime. Despite its solid entourage of recurring characters, one specific character has particularly piqued my interest, Evelyn Nesbit. Painted as an especially confusing character, Evelyn's actions always strike me as a weird combination of hesitant and bold. Though we are given glimpses into her background (including hints at several traumatic experiences), it surprises me that more people are not more sympathetic towards her. Maybe her naivety and often resigned demeanor don't endear her to most readers, but I found Doctorow's rendition of her pretty realistic given the things she's lived through. As I read more about her from other sources, I was shocked to learn the extent of her misfortunes. The loss of her father at a very early age, the exploitation of her body by her own mother, and eventually the rape (rapes?) and physical abuse we come to read about in the book all contributed to the damaged psyche she now lives with. Reading about her from an 'objective' standpoint raises again the question of history vs fiction, as I found that I definitely consumed a 'historical' biography of her differently than I did the passages in Ragtime. Regardless of how she may have lived and suffered in her own lifetime, she is largely remembered posthumously as one of the last, great tragic beauties.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I did initially notice that Doctorow didn't write about Nesbit with irony but reading this post somehow makes me feel as if he writes about her with a hint of sympathy. Now knowing that what Doctorow wrote about Nesbit is true (and maybe even not as horrible as it actually was) just makes me feel more sympathetic towards her.
ReplyDeleteYeah! I did notice that he didn't treat her with his characteristic tone of irony that he used on many of the other characters. Definitely refreshing to see how plainly he paints Evelyn and her motives
DeleteI'm so glad someone is focussing on Evelyn Nesbit! She is such a fascinating character, and I was sad to see she disappeared for the last half of the novel, although maybe she didn't have anything left to offer to the story. It would have been nice to see Tateh's girl and Nesbit reunited at the end of the novel, but I suppose her role is too transient to come full circle.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely. I kept expecting her to have a larger role in the story, and was actually pretty disappointed that her story ended with her fading into obscurity. Made me pretty sad, but I guess in the grander scheme of things she definitely served her purpose as a foil for some of the other characters.
DeleteI think it's interesting to read this post after having finished the book because of the way Evelyn's character fades out. She seems so central at the beginning and is involved with characters who do last the entire novel, but eventually her story line just trails off. The way Doctorow builds her up and then sort of discards her really fits with all the stuff she suffered throughout her lifetime.
ReplyDeleteMhm! That was my thought process to after I finished the book, it absolutely kind of fits with how her life was in general. She faded into obscurity from being in the limelight both in the book and in 'history'
Delete