Thursday, March 13, 2014
Questioning Sanity
Billy's state of sanity is a question that seems to keep coming up time and again in our discussions. At first I really considered the question, but then, especially after the pair of panel presentations today, I realized his mental stability really isn't essential to what we as readers take away from the novel. I hesitate to class anyone as 'mentally unstable', and I think we collectively as a society are reluctant to throw that term around. It's hard to put that label on someone when they aren't a threat to themselves or society. If Billy has a way of thinking that deviates from the norm, does it really need to be addressed? Like we pointed out in class, several of the characters in the book seem to have their own fictionalized version of themselves, each to a certain degree detached from their realities. Getting at a question that was posed earlier in class today, I would argue that it is inherent in human nature to use our imagination as a means of escape. Even the way we look back on things are affected as individual human memories are some of the most flawed accounts of personal history. Imagination is our natural form of escapism, and ultimately through this Billy is able to confront his most painful memories from the past. In a roundabout way while skirting around the events at Dresden, Billy is forced to recount it and come to terms with it in a way that still feels surprisingly comfortable. Maybe it's because I know I personally tend to block out painful memories until I feel strong enough to revisit them, but I can relate to Billy's more unique line of thinking as a coping mechanism. I wouldn't question his mental stability, but at the end of it, his sanity really doesn't matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can see your point here, and I think it's a good one--especially if seeing Billy as "unstable" means to somehow discount his alternative view of the world, or to dismiss him as not worth serious attention. But if we look at the book as a condemnation of war, and as a study of how war affects people, gauging Billy's mental health is a way of considering how we might have been "wounded" in the war, even if the wounds aren't visible on the surface. To this extent, the question is an important part of the full picture of war Vonnegut is trying to achieve.
ReplyDeleteAnother implication of this line of questioning leads us to the insight that if the war represents "sanity" and "civilization," what "had to be done" (a la Rumfoord), then what does it even mean to be "insane"?